Monday, April 21, 2014

Stephen Glass

I think that is a difficult movie to watch because as an audience, we are drawn and get attached to Stephen in the beginning. He even comments about one of his co-workers who doesn't like to be fact checked. They way they set up the movie and events unravel, we never suspect anything like this to happen...until it does. It leaves us feeling betrayed. That's exactly how the editors and his friends must have felt. Especially when they wanted to believe in him so much. At the beginning, you love Stephen and at then end you regret loving him. Then you're left with the feelings of should I keep trying to love him or should I be okay with letting him go? Once again, I'm sure the editors and magazine people had very similar feelings. I think he deserved to get in trouble for that. I wish he hadn't done it and he had done his fiction writing elsewhere because it was brilliant. He did suffer the consequences and his fiction writing did get acknowledged, there was just a lot of deceit in between. I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about everything. I wish he would have been a man about it in the end and owned up to his actions because I think I would have a little more respect for him. I wonder how spot on the movie is compared to real life. I wonder what Stephen thought when he watched it for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment