Monday, January 27, 2014

Awkward

I work at a coffee shop. One night we were really busy and my co-workers and I were getting a little stressed out. This one Asian kid came up to the register to order and he bought a fancy pour over set to hand brew his coffee with. I'm not racist or anything, I just remember that he was Asian. The total was $57.00 if I remember correctly. We told him the total and he handed a $5 to My co-worker, Alexis. She took it waited expectantly for more bills to be handed to her. She waited...and waited. Then she repeated the total to him and he just stared at her. He stared...and stared. She stared back and I stared at them both. I'm pretty sure they held eachother's stares for 2 minutes. Then once again, she repeated the total to him. He kept on staring. I couldn't handle it anymore. I bent over and pretended to get something out of the drawer underneath the register. I was attempting to regain control of my self before I blew up and started cracking up. Well, I couldn't keep it in and I started laughing so hard I was crying. Alexis gave me a look that said, "Shut up", but I couldn't do it. So I walked into the back and kept laughing. After I managed to stop and breathe, I walked back out to make sure she didn't need any help with the next orders. The Asian kid was still standing there and he was still staring. She looked at me, eyes pleading for help and so I walked over to support her while she explained to him that he was about $52 away from the total. He finally stopped staring and said, "I know. I have a credit card." I could tell Alexis was refraining from yelling, "WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THAT TEN MINUTES AGO!?" at him. We took the card and finished the transaction and he walked away. We started cracking up again and the people in line were all laughing too. We weren't being mean to him or anything, we were just laughing at the awkwardness and lack of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment