Monday, January 27, 2014

Camping

I love camping. I love being outside and exploring. There is nothing like camping. Nothing compares to sleeping under the stars, the lingering smell of a good fire, and the great outdoors. I am grateful that my parents started taking me camping when I was really little because it was something that was a huge part of my childhood. There was one time where my mom and one of her girlfriends decided to go on a camping trip in the water fall region of North Carolina. The first thing we did was set up camp, which took a lot longer than it should have. Probably because our moms didn't know how to set up the tents without our dads. Then we decided to go on a hike and enjoy the daylight. I remember starting a hike that was supposed to be two miles and we were excited about it because we would still have time to collect kindling before it got dark afterward. Well, 4 hours into the hike we starting thinking that maybe, just maybe it wasn't actually two miles like we originally thought. We ran out of snacks and water and started to worry, but we kept walking. So I guess we weren't that worried. Two hours later we reached a road that intersected with the trail. It was starting to get dark. By now my friends and I are done making the most of it and our mothers have become the definition of hysterical. Suddenly we heard a car coming and sure enough, a lil jeep comes speeding by. Our mothers wave the car full of hippies down and my friend's mom jumps in with them to go get our car. So we wave goodbye at her and read the writing on the back of the jeep that says, "headed to hell". Don't worry, she came back a while later and rescued us. Turns out that hike was 23 miles long. Needless to say, we didn't have time to collect kindling before bed that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment